Preview: Oil Kings @ Raiders – March 7, 2018
LAST GAME: The Edmonton Oil Kings opened up a three-game road trip on Tuesday night as they visited the Saskatoon Blades at the SaskTel Centre wrapping up their four-game season series with the Blades. In the game, the Oil Kings would put up a hard-fought battle where they were defeated 6-5 by the Blades. Blades right winger Michael Farren opened up the scoring on the powerplay in the first period as the puck deflected in front past Oil Kings netminder Boston Bilous to give Saskatoon a 1-0 lead. At the 15:00 mark of the first frame, Eric Florchuk added to the Blades lead scoring on the powerplay to make it 2-0 through 20 minutes. In the second period, the Blades added to their lead early in the frame as Dawson Davidson would make it 3-0 Saskatoon less than a minute in. The Oil Kings would answer back minutes later as Kobe Mohr netted his 11th of the season to put Edmonton on the board. Carter Souch would collect his fourth of the season on the powerplay to put the Oil Kings within one. Midway through the period, Brett Kemp scored the game tying goal to make it 3-3. Saskatoon would add a pair of goals late in the period courtesy of Max Gerlach, on the powerplay and Josh Patterson to take a 5-3 lead through 40 minutes. Midway through the third period, Oil Kings blue liner Conner McDonald would send a shot past Blades goaltender Nolan Maier to put Edmonton within one. Minutes later, Blades left-winger Braylon Shmyr netted his 35th of the season on a 5-on-3 to put Saskatoon ahead 6-4. Oil Kings captain Colton Kehler added a late third period goal for Edmonton to put his team within one but time would wind down with Saskatoon picking up the 6-5 victory.
2017-18 REGULAR SEASON LEADERS:
- Goals: Trey Fix-Wolansky – 29
- Assists: Trey Fix-Wolansky – 50
- Points: Trey Fix-Wolansky – 79
- PIM: Conner McDonald – 76
- +/-: Jake Neighbours – -1
- GWG: Trey Fix-Wolansky – 5
- PPG: Colton Kehler – 12
- SHG: David Kope, Tomas Soustal – 2
OIL KINGS VS. RAIDERS: Wednesday night’s matchup against the Raiders will mark the fourth and final meeting between the Oil Kings and Raiders this season. In their three previous matchups this season, the Oil Kings have put up a record of 1-2-0-0. The last time these two teams played one another was on Saturday, February 24 at Rogers Place. In that game, Trey Fix-Wolansky, Conner McDonald, Wyatt McLeod and David Kope were the goal scorers for Edmonton. In addition, Oil Kings defenceman Wyatt McLeod netted his first career Western Hockey League (WHL) goal on February 24 against the Raiders.
EOK vs. Raiders this season:
- Saturday, December 2 at Rogers Place – EDM wins 4-1
- Saturday, January 27 at Art Hauser Centre – PA wins 9-2
- Saturday, February 24 at Rogers Place – PA wins 5-4
SEEING DOUBLE: On Tuesday night against the Blades, two Oil Kings recorded multi-point games:
- Tomas Soustal recorded his 13th multi-point game of the season picking up two assists
- Brett Kemp recorded his seventh multi-point game of the season picking up two points (1G, 1A)
STILL STREAKING: Five players extended their point streaks on Tuesday night collecting points against the Saskatoon Blades:
- Fix-Wolansky extended his point streak to eight points (3G, 5A) in four games
- Robertson extended his point streak to four points (1G, 3A) in four games
- Mohr extended his point streak to four points (3G, 1A) in three games
- Soustal extended his point streak to four points (2G, 2A) in three games
- Kehler extended his point streak to three points (2G, 1A) in three games
100 APPLES: Oil Kings centreman Tomas Soustal collected his 100 career WHL assist on Tuesday night against Saskatoon off Conner McDonald’s third period goal.
CENTURY MARK: Brett Kemp played in his 100th career WHL game on Tuesday night, in the game Kemp picked up a goal in the second period and an assist off Carter Souch’s second period powerplay marker.
UP NEXT: The Oil Kings will close out their current three-game road trip on Friday night as they face off against the Medicine Hat Tigers. Puck drop is 7:30 PM MT.