EDMONTON OIL KINGS – GAME NOTES
Friday, December 28, 2018
CALGARY HITMEN (15-15-3-1) vs. EDMONTON OIL KINGS (18-12-4-2)
Calgary Road Record (7-8-1-1)
Edmonton Home Record (10-5-0-0)
Season Game: 37 Home Game: 16
- The Edmonton Oil Kings and Calgary Hitmen each play their first game since the holiday break tonight at Rogers Place. For the Oil Kings, it will be their first of three games in two-and-a-half days (tonight vs. CGY, tomorrow night at RD, Sunday afternoon vs. RD). The Hitmen are idle tomorrow before hosting the Vancouver Giants on Sunday afternoon.
- In their final game action before the break, the Oil Kings skated to a convincing 7-4 win over the Kootenay ICE. The Hitmen dropped a 6-4 decision to the Lethbridge Hurricanes at home in their final game before the holidays.
- The Oil Kings have earned points in six of their last seven games (4-1-2-0), while the Hitmen have just three regulation losses in their last 15 games (10-3-1-1) dating back to November 11, but enter today riding back-to-back losses (0-1-1-0).
- The Oil Kings anticipate the return of captain and Columbus Blue Jackets prospect Trey Fix-Wolansky to the line-up tonight after he missed the team’s final two games before the break with an illness. The 19-year-old, Edmonton, AB native currently sits one point back of Portland’s Joachim Blichfeld (65) for the lead in the WHL’s point scoring race. Fix-Wolansky enters the game on a ten-game point streak (8G, 10A = 18 points) and a 1.88 points-per-game average, having gone pointless just four times this season.
- The Oil Kings have earned five of a possible six points vs. the Hitmen through the teams first three games this season (2-0-1-0).
- Edmonton has not lost in regulation when leading after 40 minutes of play (13-0-2-1). When trailing after the second, the Hitmen are 0-14-0-0. Calgary has outshot their opponents in 24 of 31 games played this season, but has only 11 wins in those 24 instances. The Oil Kings have been outshot 12 times this season and have earned points in half of those games.
- The Oil Kings have scored the first goal of the game in 20 of their 36 games played this season. After starting the season 12-0-0-0 when scoring the game’s first goal, they are now 14-4-1-1 when taking the first lead.
- Oil Kings Belarusian imports Andrei Pavlenko and Vladimir Alistrov earned silver at the 2019 IIHF U20 World Championships, Division I – Group A in Germany earlier this month and rejoin the Oil Kings for game action tonight. They skated to a 3-2 record in the tournament, which was won by host Germany. Alistrov tallied a pair of goals and six points for Belarus over the course of the tournament.
- Oil Kings defenceman Matthew Robertson has been selected as one of 16 WHL players to participate in the 2019 Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Red Deer on January 23.
- Six Oil Kings players were featured in the latest NHL Central Scouting ‘Players to Watch’ List for the upcoming 2019 NHL Draft. The Oil Kings led all WHL teams with six rated players (A – Matthew Robertson; C – Jacson Alexander (inj), Vladimir Alistrov, Brett Kemp, David Kope and Boston Bilous). They are one of just two teams in the League to have each a forward, defenceman and a goaltender make the list.