EDMONTON OIL KINGS – GAME NOTES
Sunday, December 30, 2018
Red Deer Rebels (21-10-2-0) vs. Edmonton Oil Kings (19-12-4-3)
Red Deer Road Record (7-5-2-0)
Edmonton Home Record (11-5-0-0)
Season Game: 39 Home Game: 17
- The Edmonton Oil Kings and Red Deer Rebels play the second of a home-and-home in back-to-back days this afternoon at Rogers Place. The two teams squared off last night in Red Deer and skated to a high-tempo, 2-1 shootout decision in favour of the Rebels.
- Tonight marks the fifth of eight meetings this season between the Oil Kings and Rebels. Edmonton claimed a pair of wins in the first two games of the season, 4-1 and 4-2, before the Rebels skated to a 5-2 victory the last time the two teams met at Rogers Place on October 19.
- The Oil Kings have earned points in eight of their last nine games (5-1-2-1).
- Oil Kings captain and Columbus Blue Jackets prospect Trey Fix-Wolansky saw an 11-game point streak (8G, 11A = 19 points) snapped in last night’s 2-1 shootout loss. He is averaging 1.81 points-per-game, having gone pointless just five times this season.
- Oil Kings defenceman Matthew Robertson is day-to-day after being involved in a collision near the end of the first period in last night’s game. Robertson has registered five goals and 16 assists for 21 points in 32 games played this season.
- Edmonton has not lost in regulation when leading after 40 minutes of play (14-0-2-1). The Oil Kings have been outshot 12 times this season and have managed to earn points in half of those games.
- The Oil Kings have scored the first goal of the game in 21 of their 37 games played this season. After starting the season 12-0-0-0 when scoring the game’s first goal, they are now 15-4-1-1 when taking the first lead.
- Oil Kings Belarusian imports Andrei Pavlenko and Vladimir Alistrov earned silver at the 2019 IIHF U20 World Championships, Division I – Group A in Germany earlier this month. They skated to a 3-2 record in the tournament, which was won by host Germany. Alistrov tallied a pair of goals and six points for Belarus.
- Oil Kings defenceman Matthew Robertson has been selected as one of 16 WHL players to participate in the 2019 Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game in Red Deer on January 23.
- Six Oil Kings players were featured in the latest NHL Central Scouting ‘Players to Watch’ List for the upcoming 2019 NHL Draft. The Oil Kings led all WHL teams with six rated players (A – Matthew Robertson; C – Jacson Alexander (inj), Vladimir Alistrov, Brett Kemp, David Kope and Boston Bilous). They are one of just two teams in the League to have each a forward, defenceman and a goaltender make the list.